Private Swim Lessons
The Pittsfield Family YMCA offers private youth or adult swim lessons. Scheduling will be worked out with the instructor.
Registrations are open for our next round of swim lessons for all boys and girls, 6 months to 12 years old, from May 14-June 29. Our swim lessons help your child grow comfortable in the water, learn water safety skills, and gain strength and coordination in a positive learning environment. Lessons run for 7 weeks with half-hour lessons weekly. All participants must be Y members.
- Parent/Child (children 6 months to 3 years): Children grow comfortable in the water with a parent.
- Progressive levels (children ages 3-5 years old):
- Pike*: Children are very beginner and need a floatation device. A bubble is required.
- Eels: Children are comfortable in the water and need little to no assistance with a floatation device.
- Progressive levels (children ages 6-12 years old):
- Polliwogs*: Children are beginners and need a floatation device. A bubble is required.
- Guppy: Children are comfortable in the water and need little to no assistance with a floatation device. To participate in this level, children need to be able to demonstrate alternating arm action.
- Minnow: Children can swim a half lap confidently and are able to float without assistance. Children will learn stroke development and increasing endurance in this level.
- Fish/Flying Fish: Children need to be able to swim a full lap confidently. Children of all endurance levels will learn how to refine performance with rhythmic breathing. Strokes, turns and diving levels will be taught.
May 14-June 29. Saturday classes, from 8:30 a.m.-noon and Tuesday from 4:15-6:15 p.m. Please see below for class times and days.
Parent/Child (6 mos. to 3 yrs.): Sat., 8:30-9 a.m.
Pike* (3-5 years old): Tues., 5:45-6:15 p.m. OR Sat., 9-9:30 a.m.
Eel (3-5 years old): Tues., 4:15-4:45 p.m. OR Sat., 9:30-10 a.m.
Polliwogs* (6-12 year-old beginners): Tues., 5:15-5:45 p.m. OR Sat., 10-10:30 a.m.
Guppy (6-12 years old): Tues., 4:45-5:15 p.m. OR Sat., 10:30-11 a.m.
Minnow (6-12 years old): Sat., 11-11:30 a.m.
Fish/Flying Fish (6-12 yrs. old): Sat., 11:30 a.m.-12 p.m.
Cost and registration
$50 for 7 weeks of swim lessons, plus an annual youth membership. An annual youth membership is $36.
• *Pike and Polliwogs require parents to provide bubbles. Bubbles can be purchased at the Y’s Welcome Center for $10, plus tax.
• All swim lessons take place at the Y’s indoor swimming pool. Parents are asked to watch from the pool balcony.
• At least two children must be enrolled in each class for the class to run. Dates and times of classes may change to accommodate enrollment.
• THERE IS NO OPEN SWIM DURING SWIM LESSONS
Georgette Keator at 413-499-7650 x11 or at email@example.com
Swim lessons registration form