Camp Sumner: Growing Healthy Bodies and Minds
Nurturing the Potential of Every Youth and Teen:
Pittsfield Family YMCA’s Summer Camps at Berkshire Community College
Our camps develop the necessary building blocks for youth development by providing a safe, creative learning environment for young people to feel empowered, build self-esteem, explore personal interests, develop interpersonal skills and make lasting friendships and memories.
The Pittsfield Family YMCA is a contract provider with the State of Massachusetts which means that the State reimburses us for contracted slots with the Department of Early Education and Care. In April 2014, the State decided to increase the reimbursement amount. Because of this, we are obligated to charge the same rate as we receive from the State for all of our licensed educational programs, including Camp Sumner.
Due to this change, the Pittsfield Family YMCA’s response is to include before- and after-camp care at NO additional cost. Thus, all parents will have access to Camp Sumner from 7 a.m. until 5:30 p.m. This care is provided at BCC only. Parents must provide transportation for this extended care. We will still provide bus transportation from Allendale, Egremont and downtown for those families who do not wish to participate in before and after-school camp care. The full week rate is $157.05.
At the Pittsfield Family YMCA we understand the negative impact that this rate increase may have on some families financially, and we encourage any family that may need assistance to learn about our financial scholarship program. This program is an income-based scholarship that is awarded to families for membership, youth programming, childcare, and camp. The application is available at pittsfieldfamilyymca.org or at the Welcome Center.
- Who: For children ages 5 years to 9th grade
- When: One-week sessions: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m. from June 30-Aug. 29, 2014
- Where: BCC’s Paterson Field House
- Cost: $150/one-week session and include before and after-camp care at no additional cost. Campers must be Y members. Youth (up through 12 years old) membership: $36/year. Teen (13-19 years old) membership: $15 for 1 month.
- Before- and After-Camp: Before-camp care is available from 7-9 a.m. and after-camp care is available from 4:30-5:30 p.m.
- Bus transportation from the YMCA and Allendale and Egremont elementary schools is available.
- Contact: Jessie Rumlow, 413-499-7650 x11, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Swim lessons
- Recreational swim
- Field, group games
- Environmental study
- Trail hikes
- Arts and crafts
- Team building
- Traditional sports
- Morning Fitness Class
- Voyagers, Trailblazers, Pathfinders and Leaders in Training (LIT) groups in sessions 2-8 go on weekly field trips in and around Berkshire County.
- Sneakers must be worn but campers are allowed to bring flip flops for the pool
- Bug spray
- Water bottle
Weekly Field Trips
About Camp Sumner
The YMCA is committed to recruiting and developing an outstanding group of counselors and directors that are dedicated to providing the best possible camp experience. Many of our staff members are teachers and college students who have been Camp Sumner participants. The staff participates in extensive training, and our lifeguards are certified. For your child’s health and safety, Camp Sumner is licensed by the City of Pittsfield Board of Health Department. All staff members are certified in First Aid and CPR, as well as CORI checked. In addition, the health care administrator is on-site daily. Policies and procedures are available in the camp office.
Enrollment Quick Facts
- Camp Sumner is held at BCC’s Paterson Field House
- A $25 deposit is required for each week of camp upon enrollment.
- Campers must have a current membership.
- All financial scholarship applications must be submitted by June 1, 2014. No exceptions.
- Copies of the child’s physical and immunizations records (within 12 months preceding the start of camp) must be turned in before the child can attend camp.
- Pittsfield Public Schools provides free lunches to all campers. Campers may choose to bring a lunch from home if they prefer. Parents must provide snack.
- Camp phone: 413-236-1675, 7 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
2014 Camp Sumner Brochure and Registration Form