Camp Sumner: Inspire to be Your Best
Nurturing the Potential of Every Youth and Teen:
Pittsfield Family YMCA’s Summer Camps at Berkshire Community College
Our camps develop the necessary building blocks for youth development by providing a safe, creative learning environment for young people to feel empowered, build self-esteem, explore personal interests, develop interpersonal skills and make lasting friendships and memories.
- Who: For children ages 5 years to 12th grade
- When: One-week sessions: Mon–Fri, 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m. from from July 1-Aug. 30
- Where: BCC’s Paterson Field House
- Rate: All campers must have a Y membership to attend camp. Camp cost: $120/session.
One-time annual youth (up through 13 years old) membership: $36. Teen (14-19 years old) membership: $49.98/3 months upfront OR $15/month on automatic payments.
- Specialty camps: Leaders in Training (entering grades 7-9) and Boys’ Basketball Camp (entering grades 6-12).
- Contact: Earl Persip, 413-499-7650 x37, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Swim lessons
- Recreational swim
- Field, group games
- Environmental study
- Trail hikes
- Arts and crafts
- Team building
- Traditional sports
- BCC pool
- Large athletic fields
- Environmental center
- Paterson Field House
- Tennis courts
- Basketball courts
- Trails with a pond
Before- and after-camp care is also available, as well as bus transportation from the Y and Allendale and Egremont elementary schools.
Specialty Camps at Camp Sumner
Leaders in Training (LIT): LIT campers will have the opportunity to work side-by-side with experienced counselors. They enjoy the schedule of the traditional campers with nature, arts and crafts, sports, and more. These campers learn not only how to become a counselor, but LIT campers develop leadership and team building skills that they will value throughout their lifetime. This camp is open to boys and girls entering grades 7 to 9.
Boys’ Basketball Camp: Basketball campers will have the opportunity to learn advanced skills such as dribbling, passing, shooting, conditioning and defense from our Executive Director Randy Kinnas. During practices, players will learn important character traits such as Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility. This camp is open to boys entering grades 6 to 12.
About Camp Sumner
- Our Curriculum: Camp Sumner includes sessions in computer science and environmental studies. Led by BCC professors, educational features will be available to all campers in addition to the regular weekly schedule. In addition, Voyagers, Trailblazers, Pathfinders and LIT groups in sessions 2-8 go on weekly field trips in and around Berkshire County.
- Our Staff: Camp Sumner prides itself on providing a fine staff of qualified personnel. Many of our staff members are teachers and college students who have been participants themselves and all have a minimum of 1 year experience working with children. The staff participates in an extensive training session. All of our lifeguards are certified and trained. The Y is committed to recruiting and developing an outstand-ing group of counselors and directors that are dedicated to providing the best possible summer camp experience.
- Health and Safety: The health and safety of your child in the Y programs is our first priority. Camp Sumner is licensed by the City of Pittsfield Board of Health Department. All staff is certified in First Aid and CPR, as well as CORI checked. In addition, the health care administrator is on-site daily.
Camp Sumner Brochure